Chesapeake pleads guilty to Clean Water Act violations
Chesapeake Energy Corp. on Friday reached a settlement with the U.S. attorney's office in West Virginia on three claims of Clean Water Act violations.
A Chesapeake Energy Corp. subsidiary Friday pleaded guilty in federal court in West Virginia to three misdemeanor counts of violating the Clean Water Act and agreed to pay a $600,000 fine.
Expanded Chesapeake coverage
Chesapeake coverage on NewsOK:
The U.S. attorney's office said Chesapeake Appalachia LLC used 60 tons of crushed stone and gravel in West Virginia's Blake Fork to create a roadway for improving access to natural gas well sites. Chesapeake said it used the gravel to upgrade a county road that included waters within the federal government's jurisdiction and that it failed to first secure a permit from the U.S. Corps of Engineers.
Chesapeake said it has removed the gravel and restored the site.
“Chesapeake Appalachia remains fully committed to regulatory compliance and promptly instituted additional training and oversight to help ensure that our regulatory obligations are met,” the company said in a statement.
The plea agreement also requires Chesapeake to be placed on probation and be under the supervision of the court for two years.
“This plea agreement demonstrates that those who illegally fill in or destroy these essential natural resources will be prosecuted,” said David G. McLeod Jr., Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's criminal enforcement program in West Virginia.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 56551Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34585Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32288Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9582Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8789Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5674Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3757OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins