Chickasha honors Kody Turner, then earns victory
Videoview all videos
Oct 5Barry J. Sanders, the Heritage Hall junior running back,...
Oct 2Chickasha's Kody Turner, a junior offensive lineman, died...
Sep 9Bob Przybylo talks with Heritage Hall's Barry Sanders.
Photoview all 41 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Pick up Sunday's Oklahoman for more on an emotional Friday night in Chickasha.
But the signs were there that the team was improving, VanCleave said. And against the Redskins, they made even more progress.
"We were able to play well on a very emotional night," VanCleave said. "We did what we wanted to do and played our game."
The Chicks (1-3, 1-1) were unable to score on their first drive but got it rolling on their second drive of the night.
Quarterback Chase Rodgers connected with his favorite target, Jaree Blakes, for a 32-yard touchdown, and the rout was on. Rodgers found Blakes for another score en route to throwing four touchdown passes in the first half and taking a commanding 35-0 lead into halftime. Rodgers had five touchdown passes in the game with Blakes catching three of them.
The Chicks had nearly 500 yards of total offense (313 rushing, 169 passing).The defense limited Capitol Hill to 37 total yards and minus-2 rushing yards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community