But there are lots of skills she doesn't have just yet. Or maybe she does and she's just hiding them, like her ability to do handstands. Broekhuysen and Shapiro said oftentimes we have to show children how to do something. Once we do, they'll catch on. It can be easy not to think of things to teach, like moving objects, coloring, rolling a ball and stacking. While play may be routine, practicing specific skills may not be.
So for the past several days I've sat on my living room floor with my daughter, taking toys out of the basket and putting them back in. She mostly looks at me like, "Why are you doing that? You just took them out. That's completely inefficient." Then she ignores me and bangs some blocks together.
I have a feeling she can do these things. She's just a sneak who enjoys watching me act ridiculous. But I guess that's what parenting's about: acting foolish and setting a good example.
Upcoming developmental screenings
Experts with the Oklahoma City-County Health Department are offering developmental screenings at various libraries this fall, in addition to appointments at the health department office. They screen children from birth through age 5 for social, emotional, physical and verbal progress. The appointments last for one hour, and the cost is based on a sliding scale. To schedule an appointment, call 425-4412. Here is the schedule for developmental screenings for the rest of the year:
• Belle Isle Library: Oct. 6, Nov. 3 and Dec. 1.
• Bethany Library: Oct. 1, Nov. 5 and Dec. 3.
• Capitol Hill Library: Sept. 22, Oct. 6, Nov. 3 and Dec. 1.
• Choctaw Library: Oct. 7, Nov. 4 and Dec. 2.
• Del City Library: Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 15 and Dec. 13.
• Edmond Library: Sept. 15, Oct. 13, Nov. 10 and Dec. 8.
• Midwest City Library: Sept. 15, Oct. 20, Nov. 17 and Dec. 15.
• Downtown Library: Sept. 23, Oct. 28, Nov. 18, Dec. 16.
• Ralph Ellison Library: Sept. 21 and Nov. 16.
• Southern Oaks Library: Sept. 17.
• Village Library: Sept. 16, Oct. 21, Nov. 18 and Dec. 16.
• Warr Acres Library: Sept. 17, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.