Chipper in pinstripes? Well, Yanks' Cashman tried
VIERA, Fla. (AP) — Chipper Jones putting on pinstripes?
The banged-up New York Yankees would love to have him. General manager Brian Cashman even said so Monday, expressing interest in the retired Atlanta Braves star.
"He'd be perfect," Cashman said at Yankees' camp in Tampa. "I'd take Larry in a heartbeat. I think everybody would."
The eight-time All-Star third baseman — better known by his nickname than actual first name — quickly ended such talk.
"Enough with the rumors!" Jones tweeted. "While I am flattered about the speculation of being enticed out of retirement, I'm happy with life as a bad golfer!"
Pretty much what everyone figured.
"I can imagine a lot of things in baseball," Braves coach and former third baseman Terry Pendleton said, "but Chipper playing for the Yankees isn't one of them."
"I think you'd have a lot of people in Atlanta pretty mad if that happened. He's a man of his word and he says he's done," he said. "But it might help the Yankees with their attendance. I think a lot of Mets fans would come over to Yankee Stadium to boo him."
Still, it was a fun thought — Jones and Derek Jeter together on the left side of the infield. At least for a minute.
"He has the utmost respect for the Yankees' organization, but his legacy is and will always be with the Braves," Jones' agent, B.B. Abbott, told The Associated Press in a text message.
Jones bowed out last fall after playing all 19 seasons in Atlanta, hitting .303 with 468 home runs. A month shy of turning 41, Jones recently spent a few days at spring training with his old team.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17743Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11674Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10443Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10260OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10191Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9850Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9805Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments