Chrysler delivers first CNG trucks to Oklahoma
Oklahoma received its first shipment of natural gas-powered Ram 2500 pickups from Chrysler. The state has ordered 242 of them so far.
Chrysler Group LLC on Wednesday delivered the first of 242 new compressed natural gas-fueled 2013 Ram 2500 pickups to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation and other state agencies.
Videoview all videos
Mar 6Oklahoma received its first shipment of natural...
Photoview all photos
The state's order is Chrysler's largest since it began producing CNG trucks in October.
Chrysler's Ram is the only CNG-powered pickup in North America built by an original equipment manufacturer. The bi-fuel trucks were built at Chrysler's heavy-duty truck plant in Mexico.
Gov. Mary Fallin took the keys to one of the trucks from Peter Grady, Chrysler's vice president of network development and fleet.
“Chrysler Group is delighted that we can deliver these unique Ram pickup trucks today to Gov. Fallin, a steadfast champion in the use of compressed natural gas vehicles in state fleets,” Grady said.
“Through the governor's tireless efforts to form a coalition of states, 13 Ram Truck dealers have landed contracts with 19 states to supply their fleets with the new Ram 2500 CNG pickup trucks,” he said.
Fallin led a bipartisan coalition of 22 states interested in adding more CNG vehicles to their fleets. Natural gas is a cheaper, cleaner fuel than gasoline or diesel.
“Converting the state's fleet to CNG will save taxpayers millions of dollars in fuel costs,” Fallin said. “The use of cleaner-burning CNG fuel is good for the environment and promotes Oklahoma-made natural gas, which in turn supports the creation of more Oklahoma jobs.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101343Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13633Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10711Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9528OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7731How to help tornado victims
- 7199Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area