Cincinnati's Opening Day parade slims down
CINCINNATI (AP) — The head of Cincinnati's annual baseball opening day parade says he's making it shorter this year to move things along and eliminate duplication in the types of groups that participate.
The Cincinnati Enquirer (http://cin.ci/WHh2Ez ) reports last year's parade lasted two-and-a-half hours, making it only 14 minutes shorter than the Reds' first regular season game that day.
Parade chairman Neil Luken says the April 1 event aims for "quality, not quantity." The number of entrants this year is down to 200 from 240 last year.
He would like to get it down to 150, and says floats that focus on the Reds, Cincinnati and the parade's namesake Findlay Market will get top priority. He plans to watch a DVD of the parade to look for entrants to cut.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister