Clancy Pendergast named USC defensive coordinator
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clancy Pendergast has been named Southern California's defensive coordinator by coach Lane Kiffin.
USC hired Pendergast on Friday essentially to replace Monte Kiffin, who resigned in late November.
Pendergast was California's defensive coordinator for the past three seasons after spending six years as an NFL defensive coordinator with Kansas City and Arizona.
Monte Kiffin's title at USC was assistant head coach, but he ran the Trojans' defense for three seasons on his son's staff. Ed Orgeron, who was Kiffin's defensive coordinator, now will be the assistant head coach.
USC's defense struggled mightily last season under Monte Kiffin, yielding 178 points while the Trojans lost four of their final five regular-season games. The Trojans also lost the Sun Bowl to Georgia Tech, completing their fall from a preseason No. 1 ranking.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister