Class 2A football notebook: Darrell James on OCS players' minds
Darrell James, OCS' announcer and the father of one of the players, is battling cancer and earlier this year Cameron began wearing a towel in honor of his dad's fight with the disease.
Darrell James coached many of OCS' players in youth league football, basketball and baseball.
James' son Cameron is a junior running back on the team.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Darrell, who is also the team's announcer, is battling cancer and earlier this year Cameron began wearing a towel in honor of his dad's fight with the disease.
The practice grew among the team and many of the Saints wore the towels in Saturday night's title game.
Darrell was in the stands Saturday night to watch his son and the rest of the Saints win their first football state title, 44-41 over Davis at Boone Pickens Stadium.
Cameron had a big 32-yard reception in the third quarter that kick-started an OCS touchdown drive that put the Saints up for good, 34-27.
OCS BASKETBALL TEAMS PLAY FOR TITLES
Most schools that make the state championship game in football push back the start of their basketball seasons until after the football season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit