Class 2A girls basketball: Jaden Hobbs leads Alva past Dale
Behind 33 points from Jaden Hobbs, Alva defeated Dale, 57-47, Friday night at State Fair Arena to advance to the Class 2A girls state championship game Saturday at 10:30 a.m. against unbeaten and No. 1 Northeast.
Playing on a big stage hasn't bothered Alva freshman Jaden Hobbs or any of the young Lady Goldbugs.
Behind 33 points from Hobbs, Alva defeated Dale, 57-47, Friday night at State Fair Arena to advance to the Class 2A girls state championship game Saturday at 10:30 a.m. against unbeaten and No. 1 Northeast.
Videoview all videos
Mar 8Northeast players and coaches refused to call Friday’s...
Photoview all 20 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
No. 4 Alva (25-4) has earned a trip to its sixth state championship game in school history with three sophomores and a freshman in the starting lineup.
“We lost everybody from last year,” Alva coach Eric Smith said. “If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we would be in the state finals, I would have told you that you need to be put in the funny farm or something.”
But Alva's freshman doesn't play like one.
Hobbs was 5-of-9 from 3-point range, and was 8-of-8 from the free-throw line. She had 26 points in Alva's opening round 53-45 victory over Colbert.
“She is pretty special,” Smith said.
Dale (28-2) raced to a 12-4 lead Friday night but Alva responded with a 14-2 run to cut the Lady Pirates lead to 21-20 at halftime.
The Lady Goldbugs then distanced themselves in the third period as Morgan Shiever, Hobbs and Bailey Forell knocked down three consecutive 3-pointers to take a 34-25 lead.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located