Class 2A girls basketball: Northeast takes down Fairview
Northeast players and coaches refused to call Friday’s rematch with Fairview a revenge game.
But they sure played like it was just that.
Videoview all videos
Mar 8Northeast players and coaches refused to call Friday’s...
Photoview all 20 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The top-ranked Vikings opened the game hot from behind the arc and used a suffocating defense to dismantle defending champion Fairview 51-35 in the Class 2A semifinals at State Fair Arena.
It was a rematch of last season’s title game in which the Jackets rallied from an eight-point deficit to win 38-36.
“I just approached it like it’s another game,” Northeast senior T’ona Edwards said. “I know we say we’re on a mission, and that’s not the revenge game to us, it’s more like get past them and get to the real goal.”
Northeast (29-0) will play the winner of Alva and Dale at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in State Fair Arena. The Vikings last won a state title in 1979.
But with the type of defense they played Friday, a gold ball could be attainable.
Fairview (25-5) committed 19 turnovers and shot just 29.7 percent from the field.
Credit that to second-year Northeast coach Londaryl Perry, who admitted he was in the stands watching film as his players were getting dressed.
“I went over defensive scheme earlier before we came here, but I still was trying to see in case they run other options what do I do,” he said. “Each team that we play has different types of personnel, so we cannot always trap the same. We make that adjustment based on the personnel.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes