Class 3A boys basketball: Centennial repeats as champs
The Centennial Bison went a long way to end up back in the same place.
A year after winning the school's first state championship at State Fair Arena, the second-ranked Bison did it once again, with a 49-38 win over Victory Christian Saturday morning in the Class 3A title game.
Videoview all videos
Mar 10Stephen Clark scores 40, leads the Trojans past Anadarko...
Photoview all 31 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But this wasn't your typical case of a repeat champion.
The Bison graduated three senior starters from last season, were forced to turn to a group of sophomores and freshmen for vital contributions and nearly got eliminated from the playoffs more than once. But in the end, the gold ball was theirs once again.
“It's better than the first one,” said Da'Sean Carolina, one of two Centennial seniors along with Prince Thompson. “It's terrific. Everybody did their jobs. We were here as a team, and we pulled this off as a team.”
Sophomore forward Austin Garner had a team-high 12 points and nine rebounds, while freshman Terry Davis had two crucial steals and scored all seven of his points in the second half to help the second-ranked Bison put the game away in the final minutes.
Junior Trevon Threat turned in a do-it-all performance for the Bison with nine points, six rebounds, three steals and two blocks.
“As seniors, we were trying to let everybody grow up,” Carolina said. “I was telling the juniors, you know, you're a senior now. Freshmen, you're sophomores now. Everybody played up to that. We just came together and won.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister