Class 3A boys state tournament notebook: Crooked Oak walking tightrope
The Ruf-Nex lost to Stroud in the first game of the playoffs back on Feb. 16, then won six straight games with their season on the line to get to state for the first time since 2004.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
MILLWOOD MAKING 30TH APPEARANCE
It's rare for a Varryl Franklin-coached Millwood team to come to the state tournament with an individual player dominating the stat sheet, and this season — the Falcons' 30th at state — is no different.
Three starters, Chris Crook, Mike Mayes and Ashford Golden average 10-11 points per game for Millwood.
The Falcons have 14 state titles in 20 championship game appearances.
MORE BALANCE FOR SPERRY
Last year, Sperry reached the state tournament riding on the shoulders of then-senior C.J. Cole, who averaged 22 points and 17 rebounds.
But this year's Pirates have turned to a more balanced approach.
Leading the way is 6-foot-6 junior Casey Cole, C.J.'s brother, who averages 15.8 points and 10.6 rebounds. Point guard Blake Teel adds 15.2 points and 7.1 assists, while Dylan Parker and Peyton Pratt add 15.3 and 13.8 points per game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say