Class 3A football: Jones' Taylor Bilyeu still making up for lost time
Two years ago, Jones linebacker Taylor Bilyeu was crushed when a broken ankle cut his season short. Bilyeu is still, two years later, trying to make up for missing those games.
Two years ago, Jones linebacker Taylor Bilyeu was crushed when a broken ankle cut his season short just six games in.
At the time, Bilyeu was a sophomore just starting to make a difference on Jones' defense. He had racked up nearly 100 tackles before the injury.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We felt like he was going to be a big part even then,” Longhorns coach Dave Martin said. “It was a glaring deal for us not having him as a kid in the backfield and on defense for us.”
Since then, Bilyeu has come back stronger than ever.
Going into Saturday's Class 3A semifinal against Blanchard at 1:30 p.m. at Putnam City Stadium, Bilyeu has 1,105 yards and 12 touchdowns rushing and 161 tackles on the other side.
Bilyeu is still, two years later, trying to make up for missing those games as a sophomore.
Jones' season ended with a 26-20 overtime loss to Davis that season.
“It was devastating,” Bilyeu said. “It was just terrible. I feel like I brought a pretty good amount to the table that year especially on defense and I think the team could've made it lot further if I hadn't have gotten hurt.”
Bilyeu was a huge part of both sides of the ball when Jones made it to the Class 2A finals.
This season, especially early, his offensive role was even a bigger part with the Longhorns breaking in a new quarterback in David Cornwell.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments