Class 3A girls basketball: Perkins knocks out defending champ Millwood, advances to finale
Perkins-Tryon coach Jerry Burnett was prepared for Millwood to make a run at the opening of the fourth quarter.
And despite both Bailey Wensler and Jordan Gorham having four fouls and missing the majority of the third, Burnett put them back on the floor.
NewsOK Related Articles
The risk paid off in a big way as the second-ranked Demons pulled away for a 63-42 victory over the defending champions in the Class 3A semifinals Friday morning at State Fair Arena.
“We knew Millwood was going to make a run at us,” Burnett said. “Jessica Foster came off the bench and did an excellent job, Siara Breeden came in and did an excellent job.
“They picked it up and we played well with those girls in the game.”
Perkins-Tryon awaits the winner of Sulphur and Adair at 2 p.m. Saturday for its first title game since 1997, when it finished runner up.
With Wensler and Gorham back in the game, Perkins-Tryon (28-0) turned a five-point game into a rout, outscoring Millwood 21-5.
When Millwood got within 10 midway through the quarter, Wensler delivered a back-breaking 3-pointer from the right corner.
“I guess I was just feeling it,” she said.
She only finished with nine points, but eight came in the fourth quarter.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad