Class 3A: Sheldon Wilson sets record as Anadarko advances to title game
Warriors will play Cascia Hall next week for the gold ball
EDMOND — It was a historical night for a school and a player, but there weren't any trophies handed out Friday night, and that's what the Anadarko Warriors really want.
Videoview all videos
Dec 3Anadarko running back Sheldon Wilson talks about the 32-7...
Dec 3Barry J. Sanders talks about Heritage Hall's...
Dec 2Highlights from Guthrie's victory over Lawton MacArthur...
Photoview all 11 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Anadarko running back Sheldon Wilson scored four touchdowns to set the state's single-season record for total touchdowns with 59. In doing so, he rushed for 377 yards to carry the Warriors to a 32-7 win over Berryhill in the Class 3A semifinals at Wantland Stadium to earn the school its first-ever state championship football game appearance.
“We're doing something that's never been done,” Anadarko coach Kent Jackson said. “But I told the guys, ‘let's win one more before we start feeling good about ourselves and how well we played.'
“Getting to the finals a big deal to the community, a big deal to our program, and we're looking forward to it.”
The Warriors have an unexpected opponent awaiting them in the title game, which will be held either next Friday or Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater.
Cascia Hall upset heavily favored Heritage Hall on Friday night.
“I don't know much about Cascia Hall, because in our area, all we've heard about is Heritage Hall,” Jackson said. “I talked to (Cascia Hall coach Joe) Medina this week and he said everybody's canceled them out, but they're 66-2 the last five years, so they're definitely the class of 3A, so we'll have our hands full with them.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in