Class 4A girls state basketball notebook: Anadarko, Byng play waiting game
Top-ranked Anadarko and No. 6 Byng are both waiting to see what their first-round matchup will be on Thursday at Southern Nazarene University.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Weatherford (25-2) opens against Fort Gibson (26-1) on Thursday at 3:30 p.m.
FORT GIBSON RETURNS THE HARD WAY
For the ninth straight year, Fort Gibson is back in the state tournament.
And it had to make it the hard way after losing to Byng in the area championship game for its first loss this season. The Tigers beat Muldrow on Saturday, though, to advance.
“I really was proud of our girls for coming back the next day because losing on Friday is one thing, but when it's your first loss of the season and you lose on Friday and then you've got to regroup, then it's a little tougher,” Fort Gibson coach Jerry Walker said.
Walker brought his team back to Fort Gibson after the loss and immediately set their sights on Muldrow with a walkthrough, film and pizza.
“That way they went to bed that night with Muldrow on their mind instead of Byng on their mind,” he said. “Just try to change the scenery and change the setup, and it worked.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?