Class 4A girls state basketball notebook: Anadarko, Byng play waiting game
Top-ranked Anadarko and No. 6 Byng are both waiting to see what their first-round matchup will be on Thursday at Southern Nazarene University.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Weatherford (25-2) opens against Fort Gibson (26-1) on Thursday at 3:30 p.m.
FORT GIBSON RETURNS THE HARD WAY
For the ninth straight year, Fort Gibson is back in the state tournament.
And it had to make it the hard way after losing to Byng in the area championship game for its first loss this season. The Tigers beat Muldrow on Saturday, though, to advance.
“I really was proud of our girls for coming back the next day because losing on Friday is one thing, but when it's your first loss of the season and you lose on Friday and then you've got to regroup, then it's a little tougher,” Fort Gibson coach Jerry Walker said.
Walker brought his team back to Fort Gibson after the loss and immediately set their sights on Muldrow with a walkthrough, film and pizza.
“That way they went to bed that night with Muldrow on their mind instead of Byng on their mind,” he said. “Just try to change the scenery and change the setup, and it worked.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena