Class 5A basketball: Dionna Collins, Malene Denson help Del City secure state tournament berth
Del City's regular season had plenty of ups and downs, but the Eagles are preparing for their third consecutive tournament appearance after Saturday's 63-56 win over No. 5 Piedmont.
Del City's regular season had plenty of ups and downs.
The Eagles had a sub-.500 record and didn't seem likely to make it back to the state tournament.
NewsOK Related Articles
But here Del City is, preparing for its third consecutive appearance after Saturday's 63-56 win over No. 5 Piedmont.
“This team has good adaptability,” Eagles coach Karri Sears said. “They're good at adjusting to what's given to us on any night.”
Del City had to make plenty of adjustments early, falling behind 24-12 early in the second after Piedmont's Sarah Parker started off hot.
Parker didn't cool off completely, but Eagles star Dionna Collins matched her game.
Collins scored eight points in a 12-0 Del City run that tied the game. She finished with 28 points.
Still, the game was tied with 1:43 left.
That's when Malene Denson took over.
Denson scored six consecutive points — the final four on free throws — to help seal it for the Eagles.
Del City will open the Class 5A state tournament Thursday against Tulsa East Central.
“We're going to face them head on,” Sears said. “We go a lot deeper than a lot of people realize and that's really going to help us this time of year.”
Parker had 26 points and 12 rebounds for Piedmont.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges