Class 5A boys state basketball notebook: 5A wide open
Bishop McGuinness is No. 1, but the Irish lost in the area finals before bouncing back Saturday night with a win over Del City.
NewsOK Related Articles
Johnson was married to Brewer's sister, Carla.
“It was a tough day yesterday,” Brewer said. “We loved Terry and want to support Carla any way we can.”
EDISON COMES IN HOT
Tulsa Edison is another team in the field with plenty of state tournament experience.
The Eagles are in the field for the sixth time in seven seasons and the third consecutive season.
Early in the season, it looked like Edison's streak was in jeopardy.
Michael Parish's team started 5-5 before getting things turned around.
Since, they've gone 15-1, with their only loss coming to Edmond Santa Fe in the first round of the Jenks-Union Tournament in late January.
Once again, Brian Speaks and Don Simmons are big reasons for Edison's success.
Simmons, a 6-foot-2 senior, averages 19 points and five assists while Speaks, a 6-foot-5, senior, averages 16 points and eight rebounds.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister