Class 5A girls: Deer Creek upends defending champion Shawnee
The Antlers won the Class 5A title with a 59-44 win over Shawnee on Saturday night at the Mabee Center.
TULSA — Even in the final seconds of a championship game already put away, Deer Creek's players were diving after loose balls and playing solid defense.
Videoview all videos
Mar 10Interview with Deer Creek's Bayli Blanchard after her...
Photoview all 12 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
They weren't going to let up until the final buzzer sounded and the gold ball was being carted out to midcourt.
“We weren't about to let this slip away,” Deer Creek's Ashley Gibson said.
The Antlers didn't, winning the Class 5A title with a 59-44 win over Shawnee on Saturday night at the Mabee Center.
“This does not feel real,” Deer Creek's Bayli Blanchard said after emerging from a raucous Antlers locker room. “I'm as happy as I've ever been right now.”
Gibson, who a day before struggled with foul trouble before a strong second half helped lead Deer Creek to a win over Tulsa East Central, scored a game-high 21. She scored 14 of her points in the first half when she and Bayli Blanchard combined for all 23 of the Antlers' first-half points.
“She cramped up a little bit but battled through it,” Deer Creek coach Totsy Manning said. “We put her on their best shooter and she came through defensively. We definitely had a defensive scheme coming in and they stuck to it.”
Sticking with the plan is something the Antlers started to learn Dec. 11, when they lost to the Wolves, who won the 5A title last year.
“Sometimes, you say there are good losses and that was definitely one for us,” Manning said. “They showed us our weaknesses. From that point on, the kids focused on sticking with the game plan and doing what they needed to do to get to where Shawnee had been.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law