Class 5A state wrestling: Deer Creek's Nolan Boyd claims title; Antlers finish 2nd
One of the lasting images last year's state wrestling tournament was the backflip Deer Creek's Nolan Boyd performed after winning his first title.
Videoview all videos
Feb 28Carl Albert's Eric Waggoner talks about overcoming heart...
Photoview all 8 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Boyd picked up championship No. 2 on Saturday night but there wasn't an encore on the backflip.
With Deer Creek in the hunt for its first team championship, team points were at a premium. The team was deducted a point after last year's backflip.
Boyd was dominant all season and punctuated his fantastic junior season with an 8-0 major decision to claim the Class 5A 171-pound championship.
�This just proves last year wasn't a fluke,� Boyd said. �That was my goal this year � to prove to people I do belong here.�
No better way to prove it than to beat everybody you compete against. Boyd finishes his season at 43-1. His only loss is to Tuttle's Zachary Beard, who Boyd also beat earlier in the season.
In the championship against Altus' Drake Martel, Boyd left no doubt. His plan was to wear Martel down early. He did that, scoring a takedown and earned two points on nearfalls on two separate occasions.
�I could feel him getting weaker,� Boyd said. �His conditioning was just about gone. That last period was just about riding him out.�
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction