Class 5A volleyball: No. 1 Heritage Hall rolls to semifinals
Heritage Hall (25-2) has seven underclassmen on its roster, but their lack of experience didn't show. The Chargers will face Christian Heritage Academy on Saturday.
Heritage Hall kept its bid for a state title alive Friday. The No. 1-ranked Chargers routed No. 8 Lincoln Christian 3-0 at Westmoore High School.
Photoview all 16 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Six different Chargers notched two or more kills in the match, including sophomore Gabby Helton, who had five. Helton admitted being nervous before the match but said she felt better as the match wore on.
“I think we just kept the talk up and kept pushing points,” she said. “We never gave up and played as a team the whole game.”
Helton wasn't the only Heritage Hall player battling nerves before the game. Senior Carter Cloud said she felt butterflies in her belly just before the first serve of the match.
“The first round can be really nerve-wracking, but I think we did a really good job and we're looking forward to tomorrow,” Cloud said.
Heritage Hall (25-2) has seven underclassmen on its roster, some of whom haven't experienced a state tournament atmosphere before. But their lack of experience didn't show.
“The way that they played today looks good for tomorrow,” Cloud said.
Chargers coach Bill Hamiter liked what he saw from his team but emphasized a need to focus on the semifinal match against Christian Heritage Academy at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Westmoore High School.
“We can't think about winning a state championship until we get there,” Hamiter said. “We gotta think a point at a time. The only way we're going to win a state championship is a point at a time.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22333Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8521Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6853OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6505OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5318Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5086Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater