Class 6A girls basketball: Christina Devers leads Bixby into finals with win over Tulsa Union
TULSA — This time, Christina Devers didn't wait until the fourth quarter to take over.
The Bixby star was hot from the start and continued throughout, helping the No. 3 Lady Spartans to a 52-46 win over No. 11 Tulsa Union in the Class 6A girls semifinals Friday at ORU's Mabee Center.
Devers struggled offensively in Thursday's win over Edmond Memorial, scoring just nine points—less than half of her usual average. Her hot fourth quarter, though, helped lift Bixby to the win.
Devers started off on fire, hitting a pair of 3-pointers in the first three minutes to help Bixby jump out to a lead.
“That got me going,” Devers said. “If I hit one right out of the gate, I'm locked into the game.”
Devers finished with 31 points in helping Bixby to its first state championship game since 1990.
“She's phenomenal,” Bixby coach Melody Stewart said of Devers. “She just put it all together for us today.
“When she's distributing and getting the rest of the team involved like she did today, we're a really dangerous team.”
The Spartans (21-7) will play the winner of Friday afternoon's Edmond Santa Fe-Tulsa Washington game at noon Saturday for the title.
The Lady Redskins' season ends 18-11.
I'mani Davis led Union with 13 points. Esther Udoumoh added 11.
Bixby led by as many as 20 midway through the third quarter before the Lady Redskins started chipping away at the lead.
Union cut the lead to four in the final minute but the Devers hit five of six free throws to help the Lady Spartans put it away.
“They couldn't tick off fast enough,” Stewart said of the final seconds.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister