Class A boys: Glencoe knocks off No. 1 Weleetka for title
Hunter Hall hadn't been used as an offensive threat, but he poured in 24 points and had nine rebounds to lead second-ranked Glencoe to a 54-50 win over No. 1 Weleetka.
NewsOK Related Articles
Glencoe showed its offensive balance throughout the state tournament run, with Kagen Castlebury and Ty Lazenby each producing 20-point games before Saturday.
But Hall stepped to the forefront when his opportunity came.
“Those two breakaway steals were what broke their back,” Jake Lazenby said of Hall’s day. “We knew they were gonna guard the perimeter, so we knew if we got it to Hunter in the middle, he’s great with that midrange jumper and he can attack the goal. We knew he was gonna have a big night.”
For John Lazenby and his sons, Saturday’s win was the fruit of a laborious process. John Lazenby coached five teams to state, but this was his first time tor reach the championship game.
For years, when he was coaching at Chattanooga and Cyril, he and his sons would drive past the Big House.
“Every time, we’d say, ‘Dad, we’re gonna go there and win a gold ball,’” Jake Lazenby said. “It’s always been a dream. One team out of 96 teams gets the gold ball. It’s just unreal.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort