Class A boys: Trevyn Woolbright's shot lifts Sterling over Wright City
Sterling senior Trevyn Woolbright dribbled into open space just inside the top of the key, elevated and floated a 15-foot jump shot that found the bucket as the final buzzer sounded and kept the Tigers' season alive.
BETHANY — When Trevyn Woolbright’s 15-foot, floating jump shot went through the hoop as the final buzzer sounded, Thursday officially took its place as the biggest day in Sterling boys basketball history.
Photoview all 53 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Woolbright hit the game-winning shot to give Sterling its first state tournament victory, 63-61 over Wright City in the Class A first round at Southern Nazarene University.
And Woolbright’s shot gave his father, Bink Woolbright, his 500th career coaching victory.
“It feels unbelievable. Just crazy,” said Trevyn Woolbright, a senior guard who had 16 points in the win. Sterling was 0-2 in its previous state tournament appearances.
Sterling never held a lead during the final 15 minutes, until Trevyn Woolbright’s jumper went through. While Wright City poured in 3-pointers — 12 in all — Sterling had to battle back with strong inside play from Mickey Milam and Dillon White.
Trevyn Woolbright hit a pair of big 3-poitners to answer Wright City earlier in the fourth quarter. But the final play didn’t go as expected.
Trevyn Woolbright took a pass 30 feet from the basket with four seconds left, dribbled to the middle and found open space near the free throw line, where he went up for the game-winner.
“I think the kids were more excited than I was,” Bink Woolbright said. “We just happened to get lucky that it worked out.”
Sterling (28-2) was led by Milam with 26 points. Wright City (22-9) got 20 points from Laiton Hill and 17 from C.J. Nolen.
Sterling will face Glencoe in the Class A semifinals at noon Friday at State Fair Arena.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81018Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30448Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 30137Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 25654Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8097Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7386Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7344Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday