Class A boys: Weleetka advances, sets up No. 1 vs. No. 2 in state finale
With his team at its third consecutive state tournament, Weleetka coach Brett Thomas sees a calm in his players.
Photoview all 35 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It showed in their defensive focus Friday. And in Montana Gormly’s jumpshot. And in a dozen other facets of the top-ranked Outlaws’ performance in a 60-36 rout of Fort Cobb-Broxton in the Class A semifinals at State Fair Arena.
Gormly scored 25 points and Weleetka was never threatened, advancing to the state finals for the third time in school history.
“There’s a calm,” Thomas said. “We talk about not being denied, and I hope that’s what it really is. We’re here, and that’s the goal — to get it done.”
Gormly was 4-of-6 from 3-point range and had a team-high eight rebounds. Caleb Wittman added 11 points and Shaun Bencoma finished with eight points and nine assists.
Weleetka jumped out to an 18-2 lead and never looked back.
“We’ve got no pressure on us,” Gormly said. “The last two years, we came up short, so we just want to go get it. It’s desire.
“We’re more comfortable than most teams, too. We’ve been here, and we’re able to relax.”
Weleetka will face second-ranked Glencoe in the championship game at 1:45 p.m. Saturday at the Big House.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims