Class A girls: No. 1 Okarche beats Sterling behind barrage of 3-pointers
Okarche didn’t look like the youngest team in the Class A state tournament Thursday afternoon.
The No. 1 Lady Warriors used a barrage of 3-pointers to beat No. 8 Sterling 57-47 at Oklahoma City University’s Abe Lemons Arena in the first round.
Photoview all 55 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“It wasn’t pretty but a win’s a win at this time of the year and we’ll take it,” Okarche coach Cherie Myers said. “We’d make a run and get a couple of turnovers, then we’d make a couple mistakes and keep them in it.”
Okarche (27-3) will play the winner of Thursday afternoon’s Frontier/Turner game at 4:30 p.m. Friday at State Fair Arena. Sterling’s season ends 27-3.
Okarche starts five underclassmen and rarely goes to its bench.
That was little problem for the Lady Warriors, though, especially with Morgan Vogt and Madi Grellner hot from the field.
The junior duo combined to hit 11 3-pointers and score 46 points. Vogt had 27 while Grellner had 19 with six 3-pointers.
“That’s where we’ve got a lot of our offense this year was from outside and they did it again today,” Myers said.
Okarche started to put the game away in the third with a 10-1 run to go ahead 36-24 midway through the quarter. Grellner hit three of her 3-pointers in the quarter.
Shelbi Smith led Sterling with 12 points. Laurie Derrico added 11 points and Madison Bradshaw added 10 points and nine rebounds for the Lady Tigers.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 72931Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14541Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8647Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7401How to help tornado victims
- 6540Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6504Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6358Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims