Class A girls: Okarche beats Cheyenne/Reydon in rematch to win championship
The Lady Warriors' 59-47 win over Cheyenne/Reydon won them the Class A state championship and made up for a pair of recent sour memories in the process.
Okarche's five starters dreamt about this.
The group of underclassmen who consider themselves best friends — three are cousins — had long dreamed of celebrating a state championship on the State Fair Arena floor.
Photoview all 59 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
They got their moment Saturday when Okarche beat Cheyenne/Reydon 59-47 to win the Class A girls basketball title.
“It's so much better than I ever thought it could be,” Madi Grellner said.
Morgan Vogt 21 points and 12 rebounds led the way for the Okarche Lady Warriors, who after building a 20-point lead midway through the second quarter never let Cheyenne get closer than nine.
Okarche players and fans also had the memory of senior Lee Brueggen on their minds. As time ticked down, Okarche's crowd started chanting the name of the 18-year-old who was killed in a Nov. 30 car accident just outside of town.
“He was always in our student section cheering us on,” Madison Lee said, choking up. “It was good to win it for him.”
Okarche's fourth state title came with an ample helping of redemption. The Lady Warriors atoned for last year's title-game loss to Frontier.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater