Class B girls: Erick holds off Lomega in double overtime to win title
Makenzie Janz made the layup and a bonus free throw with 10 seconds remaining in double OT to propel Erick to the Class B girls state championship with a 56-53 victory Saturday over defending champion Lomega.
Makenzie Janz never expected the basketball to come to her in the closing seconds of double overtime.
And after Erick had missed some crucial point-blank shots earlier, all she wanted to do was make it.
Photoview all 59 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
She made the layup and a bonus free throw with 10 seconds remaining to propel the eight-ranked Bearcats to the Class B girls state championship with a 56-53 victory Saturday over defending champion Lomega at State Fair Arena.
“It was just in the moment,” Janz said.
This is just the second state championship for Erick, and the school's first since 1977.
“I don't know what else to say besides we're state champions at Erick and that's awesome,” Erick coach Justin Janz said.
Kelsey Brinkley delivered a bounce pass to Makenzie Janz on the low block from the high post for the game-winning play in double overtime. Lomega's Ashley LaGasse then got off a 3-pointer just before time expired, but it hit the back of the rim.
But that was far from the only drama in the game.
Erick (25-8) led 40-32 midway through the fourth before Lomega (26-8) rattled off a 13-0 run for a 45-40 lead.
Lomega, though, rallied with a basket from Kelsey Brinkley with 13.3 seconds remaining. After LaGasse missed a free throw, Maranda Janz improvised, burying a 3-pointer from nearly 4 feet behind the arc to tie the game with 5 seconds remaining.
“I was hoping a little closer, actually,” Janz said. “I really didn't know where I was at on the floor. They just told me I was at the flame (of the Chesapeake Energy logo) and I couldn't believe I just shot that, actually.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments