Class sizes are too high
As I watched in shock the news reports of the school shootings, what stuck out was the class sizes — how small they were compared to ours. I volunteer daily at my granddaughter's school. Her kindergarten class has 26 children. I've done lockdown practice with them. In the short time it took that man to kill 20 children, a teacher with 26 children can't get locked down. And even in lockdown, hiding in a corner with the door locked isn't that safe. So while everyone is screaming about passing gun laws, perhaps they should be screaming about money for more teachers to lower our class sizes and more money to build safe rooms in each classroom.
NewsOK Related Articles
At least with a smaller class a teacher could hide in the closet. But 26 children in a closet? Really? We pass bond issues to buy computers or put on roofs. Why not pass one to put a safe room in every class?
Kim Swope, Choctaw
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort