Classes give children with Down syndrome 'Chance to Dance'
The classes at the Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet are for children with Down syndrome and run through May 23.
Sometimes the best medicine is getting out and doing something productive, fun and stimulating.
With that in mind, the Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet has created a Chance to Dance for children ages 5 to 10 who have Down syndrome. The classes run through May 23.
Videoview all videos
Jan 14The classes at the Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet...
Photoview all 7 photos
Chance to Dance
Chance to Dance classes will be from 10 to 10:45 a.m. Saturdays through May 23 at Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet, 7421 N Classen Blvd. Classes are limited to 12 students. Tuition is $60 per month. For more information, call 843-9898.
The goal of the classes is to improve coordination.
“It's intellectually stimulating, artistically challenging and it's very good for spatial awareness,” Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet Director Jane Vorburger said. “They'll learn about being a part of a class and following procedures. All of these things are beneficial.”
Down Syndrome Association of Central Oklahoma Director Megan Meyers-Winkler said the social aspect is one of the most important benefits.
Students get a chance to be around others who are like them. It's also helpful to their parents.
“The social element is one thing we stress in virtually everything we do,” Meyers-Winkler said. “We want them to build friendships with people that have the same disability. Some of these friendships will last a lifetime. And these activities also help parents meet each other and network.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located