Classes give children with Down syndrome 'Chance to Dance'
The classes at the Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet are for children with Down syndrome and run through May 23.
Videoview all videos
Jan 14The classes at the Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet...
Photoview all 7 photos
Chance to Dance
Chance to Dance classes will be from 10 to 10:45 a.m. Saturdays through May 23 at Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet, 7421 N Classen Blvd. Classes are limited to 12 students. Tuition is $60 per month. For more information, call 843-9898.
“We have hired a specialist to teach this class, and as a matter of fact, she was one of our instructors,” Vorburger said. “In the past she has done some camps for kids with a variety of disabilities. It was just by happenstance that she was with us already, but it is a good fit.”
Meyers-Winkler said children with Down syndrome won't have much trouble learning the basics of ballet and dance.
“They will face the same challenges other kids will face,” Meyers-Winkler said. “Our kids are like anyone else. They go to typical classrooms at their schools, they like music and they like to move around.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims