Cleveland Browns' Brandon Weeden enduring up-and-down rookie season
Former Oklahoma State and Edmond Santa Fe standout is learning on the job. But he believes the Browns are close to being a playoff contender.
“This thing is all about completions,” Weeden said. “This isn't like Oklahoma State. There are so many ins and outs that you have to learn on the fly. You can't come into the league and expect to know some of these things that quarterbacks know that have been playing a lot of years.”
Weeden, 29, is much older than your typical NFL rookie quarterback. He played professional baseball before resuming a football career at OSU. He said the biggest adjustment is the pace of the game compared to the Cowboys' up-tempo offense that ran 90 to 100 plays a game.
“All the little nuances can make such a big difference, like checking down to a receiver,” Weeden said. “It's such a different mindset how you go about a game, even small things like running the clock.”
Weeden lives in Edmond in the off-season. So many friends, relatives and OSU fans attended last week's game he joked even the family dog made the trip to Arlington, Texas.
“It was a playoff-like atmosphere,” said Cleveland cornerback Sheldon Brown. “Each and every game is giving him experience. We're so proud of how Brandon has handled everything from the time he stepped into the locker room (last spring).”
Rookie quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III have enjoyed immediate success, but that's rare. Most rookies have to pay their dues like Weeden.
“No question I'm getting there,” Weeden said. “Teams will bring some crazy (defensive) stuff at me but I've pretty much seen everything for the most part. That's good. Early on I'd miss some things.
“I'm not where I need to be but I feel I've gotten better week in and week out. ... There are so many things I can do to get better. I'm so focused and bought in on this team. I just want to help this team start winning a lot of games.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion