Clever Ways to Hide Ugly Spots in the House
Small things count when it comes to home staging. In addition to decluttering, removing personal mementos, and painting the walls a neutral color, anything you can do to smooth over rough spots or ugly spots in the house could help you to make a better first impression. Check out this round up of ideas culled from clever DIY bloggers who know how to make something from nothing.
Hide an object that protrudes from the wall: Kristen from My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia posted a very clever and good-looking solution for hiding an unsightly garage door opener. She made a cover for the protruding garage door cover from a thrift store picture frame. She painted the frame and the small piece of wood that fit perfectly as a hinged door a fashionable antique white. Kristen is converting her garage to a mudroom and craft room, and her garage door opener cover fits right in to her design scheme. This idea would totally work to hide a thermostat.
How to hide the cable box: A DIY Phoenix-area carpenter came up with this very cute cable box within a box concept. Jeanette from the blog Homa Style posted step by step instructions. She built a creamy white wooden box to hide her cable box. She added decorative trim to the box to give it a pretty front. The box hides the ugly cable box, and actually adds a harmonizing element to the room.
Hide an air conditioner with a mosaic screen: Whether you have tiling skills of your own, or if you need to enlist the help of a tile contractor, a tile mosaic screen to hide a central air conditioning unit is a lovely addition to a carefully designed landscape. Bliss R. from the blog Bliss Ranch built a mosaic screen panel into a wooden fence. It totally obscures the view of her air conditioning unit, and provides a beautiful focal point by her patio.
See our commenting and posting policy.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims