Clyburn leads way for Iowa State
AMES, Iowa (AP) — For Iowa State to live up to its potential, senior transfer Will Clyburn has to play like a star.
On Saturday, Clyburn showed just how good the Cyclones can be when they follow his lead.
Clyburn torched then-No. 11 Kansas State for 24 points and 10 rebounds as Iowa State held off the Wildcats 73-67 for their first win over a ranked opponent this season.
It was a win the Cyclones (14-5, 4-2 Big 12) badly needed after an ugly loss at Texas Tech, and it kept them afloat in the upper half of the league ahead of Wednesday's game at Oklahoma State (13-5, 3-3).
Clyburn on Monday was named the Big 12's Rookie of the Week after posting back-to-back double-doubles — an honor made for some good-natured ribbing by Clyburn's teammates considering that he's 22 and at his third college.
But those same guys also know how important Clyburn is to everything they do.
"Will is one of the most versatile players in the country, in this league. We know what he can do every night, crashing the glass, scoring points," Iowa State senior Korie Lucious said. ""He's in the gym every day working on his game, so 20 (points) and 10 (rebounds) is expected from him."
The Cyclones knew they'd never be able to replace the production of Royce White, who led the team in all five major statistical categories in his only season in Ames.
But Iowa State figured they'd be able to replicate much of White's scoring, rebounding and rotation flexibility with the 6-foot-7 Clyburn, who starred in his only season at Utah in 2010-11 after starting out at Marshalltown Community College.
Fortunately for the Cyclones, Clyburn has been the star they thought he could be.
He's blossomed into the leading scorer on the Big 12's highest scoring team — and its most versatile player.
Clyburn is averaging 14.4 points, and he has scored in double figures 15 times in 19 games with five double-doubles. Though he was held scoreless in a loss at Iowa in early December, Clyburn shrugged off that bad outing and with at least four buckets in every game since.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 27859Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15705Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9405Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8491Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8399Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena