Collected Wisdom: Jake Dalton, Olympian and former OU gymnast
The Oklahoman caught up with former Sooner gymnast Jake Dalton to talk about his love of precision, his clothing line and the five-ring symbol tattooed on his back.
I figured Mesomorphic was basically an athletic body type or body build.
My mom told me if I ever got a tattoo, she was going to take it off with a potato peeler.
My very first one I think she was understanding. Her brother had a tattoo of the praying hands and he was killed and he was like one of my brothers growing up. ... My first one was kind of in memory of him. ... She couldn't really be mad at that one.
Yeah, Phillippians 4:13, I got in January of 2012. That was kind of the year leading into the Olympics. I basically wanted to start the year of knowing I would do as much as I could. There were only a few months until trials and that was a lifetime goal to be on the Olympic team.
The (Olympic) rings tattoo. ... It's another band of brothers, almost. Even though you don't know them you know what they were doing and how much time they put in to get there and all they time they've put in their life to get there and while they were in there, how much stress is going on. You know a little bit about their story without talking to them.
You learn who you are, what you do, how you work. You basically find out who you are in the gym.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister