Collected Wisdom: Oklahoma running back Brennan Clay talks about his Bedlam-winning touchdown
NORMAN — Brennan Clay's first two-and-a-half seasons were injury-riddled and disappointing.
But his last four games have been the opposite, transforming from an afterthought benchwarmer to reliable feel-good story.
Videoview all videos
Nov 25In his last game on Owen Field, OU senior quarterback...
Photoview all 104 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It started with a 157-yard breakout performance at Iowa State in early November and culminated with a game-winning 18-yard overtime touchdown on Saturday night, capping a wild 51-48 win for OU.
But before that Bedlam-clinching rumble, Clay and the rest of OU's running game was held in check by Oklahoma State, relying on a potent passing attack to mirror an underwhelming three yards per carry.
But the touchdown run that sent Norman into an uproar and Owen Field into a mob scene is what many people will remember. Here's how Clay recalled the moments leading up to and just after the run:
We just knew we got to keep pounding it and pounding it and it's not going to be a big one every time, especially against a good defense like Oklahoma State. And they did a great scheming against us. They were able to do a good job stopping the run.
You could tell (they were worn down late). But we were worn down, too — playing at such a fast-tempo. Just keep staying with it and staying with it, knowing we were going to bust one sooner or later.
It was a cut play and it was just right up the middle pretty much and Trey (Millard) came backside and kicked out the D-end and they had a big collision there, so I just paced up the field and then Gabe (Ikard) came down on the right and slammed down on the nose (tackle).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena