College baseball: No. 17 Oklahoma beast Northwestern State, wins weekend series
Sooners pound out 11 hits and beat Northwestern State 7-2.
Oklahoma tallied 11 hits and rolled past Northwestern State 7-2 at L. Dale Mitchell Park on Saturday.
The 17th-ranked Sooners (16-4) have totaled 10 or more hits 11 times this season. They look for a series sweep on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Matt Oberste extended his hitting streak to 23 straight games — dating back to last season — and finished 2 for 4 with an RBI and run scored. He now has the third-longest hitting streak in Oklahoma history.
Second baseman Hector Lorenzana was also 2 for 3 with an RBI, and Garrett Carey hit his third home run of the season.
Junior left-hander Dillon Overton threw 7 1/3 innings and struck out five, improving to 5-1 this season.
Oklahoma broke a scoreless tie in the third inning with four runs.
OSU WIN STREAK AT 5
Oklahoma State's winning streak improved to five with a 16-0 run-rule victory and 6-1 win against Iona at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.
The 24th-ranked Cowboys are now 16-3 and have now won all five weekend series this season.
In the finale, Robbie Rea gave OSU the lead for good with an RBI groundout in the sixth after the Cowboys had rallied to tie the game at 1.
Reliever Vince Wheeland picked up his fourth win of the season with four scoreless innings.
OSU scored seven runs in the first inning of the opener and never looked back. It also scored nine runs in the fourth inning.
Junior Mark Robinette earned his first win of the season, throwing six scoreless innings.
The two teams finish the series Sunday at 1 p.m.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister