College baseball: OSU, OU win series openers
Cowboys trim Cal-Davis in Stillwater, Sooners outslug Pepperdine in Norman
Oklahoma State used single runs in the seventh and eighth innings Friday to beat California-Davis 4-2 in baseball at Reynolds Stadium in Stillwater.
Victor Romero led off the seventh inning with a home run to give the Cowboys a 3-2 lead. Randy McCurry added some insurance with a run-scoring double in the eighth.
Cal-Davis (5-5) led 2-0 after 4½ innings, but OSU (8-1) tied it in the bottom half of the fifth on Green's two-run single.
Reliever Vince Wheeland (2-0) blanked the Aggies on no hits, no walks and five strikeouts over the final three innings.
The teams play again at 1 p.m. Saturday.
OU REMAINS UNBEATEN
The No. 10-ranked Oklahoma baseball team scored in double figures — and needed everything it got. Hunter Haley homered, and three players had two RBIs each as the Sooners beat Pepperdine 10-7 on Friday at Mitchell Park in Norman.
The Sooners (10-0) appeared to take control early, owning an 8-0 lead after three innings. But Pepperdine (6-4) scores six runs in fourth inning to make it a tight game again.
OU starter Dillon Overton improved to 4-0, though he surrendered six runs on six hits in six innings. He did strike out 10.
The Sooners and Waves play again at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort