Share “College-bound students may need added...”

College-bound students may need added insurance coverage

BY CHUCK MAI, AAA Oklahoma Modified: August 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm •  Published: August 10, 2012

Living away from home presents special insurance needs.

While going away to college is an exciting time for millions of recent high school graduates, toting all of that gear to a new place may also mean more insurance coverage is needed.

AAA Oklahoma has an insurance checklist for those who are college-or university-bound.

AAA suggests that parents look at ways to insure the personal items and furnishings of their children before those young people move away. Doing some planning now can help avoid heartaches later.

Consider that last year more than 2 million students went on to attend college nationwide, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“Fulltime students who live away from home during the academic year and return home during the summer may have limited coverage under their parent’s homeowner’s policy. They may also be covered by their parent’s auto policy,” says Chuck Mai, spokesman for AAA Oklahoma.

“However, parents should check with their insurance agents about what risks are actually covered, because certain liabilities, like housing lost to a disaster or fire, may not be covered.”

AAA Oklahoma offers this checklist for those heading off to college.

· Ask about renter’s insurance discounts for items like security systems, smoke detectors, deadbolts, good credit, and multiple policies with the same insurer.

Continue reading this story on the...


  1. 1
    Google Parent Company Alphabet Drops 'Don't Be Evil' Motto
  2. 2
    Four more 'Transformers' movies are coming in the next 10 years
  3. 3
    What It's Like to Be an Interior Designer for Really, Really Rich People
  4. 4
    Will the Supreme Court Decide That Democrats Have Too Much Power?
  5. 5
    This Russell Westbrook Promo Will Get You Jacked For His 2015-16 Season
+ show more


× Trending news Article