College football: Can Clemson upset LSU in the Chick-fil-A Bowl?
Clemson's bowl record is spotty, but this time could be different. Clemson's defense, better but still shaky in Brent Venables' first season as coordinator, is not a bad match for LSU.
The funky BCS bowl assignments — Northern Illinois cracking the club, the Big East mandated a spot, five-loss Wisconsin — spread the wealth elsewhere. Notably the Cotton (9th-ranked Texas A&M vs. No. 11 OU) and the Chick-fil-A (No. 8 LSU vs. No. 14 Clemson).
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Clemson has become nationally relevant the last couple of years. The 2011 ACC title gave Clemson its first major bowl berth in 30 years. Now Clemson has posted their first back-to-back double-digit-win seasons since 1990.
Clemson's bowl record is spotty. Clemson has won just one of its last six bowls, including a 70-33 thrashing by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl and a loss to South Florida in the 2010 Charlotte bowl.
But this time could be different. Clemson's defense, better but still shaky in Brent Venables' first season as coordinator, is not a bad match for LSU.
Les Miles' offense is not high-powered. LSU scored 24 points or fewer in six of its eight SEC games, including outputs of 12 against Auburn and 20 against Arkansas.
Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd made first-team All-American on some lists, so Clemson figures to score some on LSU. LSU is a 4 1/2-point favorite, but let's go with Clemson in the upset.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister