Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops thought the NCAA's decision to deregulate many of its college football recruiting rules was made in haste.
“Seemed like they were just ready to, in other words, ‘Let's take it out of the NCAA and our compliance hands, and let's have no regulation,'” Stoops said. “Well, I don't think that's the right thing to do. I don't think it's been totally broke, so let's not totally change it.”
Stoops was among several influential people nationally to speak out against the January proposals that would have allowed unlimited contact between coaches and recruits. Their voices were heard loud and clear; earlier this month, the NCAA Division I board of directors suspended the loosened rules, some of which were set to take effect July 1.
The proposals would have lifted restrictions on phone calls, mail and text messages, which were banned for college football recruiting in 2007. There would've also been no dead period, creating a yearlong, never-ending recruiting “circus,” as Stoops called it in February.
When the NCAA passed its January proposals — which also included the elimination of rules stating only head coaches and assistant coaches can recruit — the intent was to simplify the rules and focus more attention on bigger issues.
But the changes were quickly met with widespread resistance from college coaches, high school coaches and administrators. The board was required to review its proposals after it received 75 override requests from the NCAA membership.
“We are supportive of moving as aggressively as possible while still studying the issues with due diligence,” Board chair and Wake Forest President Nathan Hatch said in a statement announcing the rule suspensions. “It's important to make sure all the pieces of the recruiting model work together to make the most effective change in the culture.”