College softball: No. 1-ranked Oklahoma slips past Notre Dame
Shelby Pendley collects three hits, three RBIs as the Sooners beat Irish in extra innings.
Top-ranked Oklahoma remained unbeaten, but Sunday's softball game against Notre Dame did not come as easy as the Sooners might have hoped.
The Sooners scored four runs in the top of the ninth inning — and then had to hang on in the bottom half — to beat the Irish 7-5 at the Campbell-Cartier Classic in San Diego.
Notre Dame (4-5) played OU (10-0) tough, even coming back in the sixth inning to take a 3-2 lead. Jessica Shults' sacrifice fly tied the game in the seventh inning, and then the Sooners tacked on four runs in the ninth inning behind two bases-loaded walks, a single and another sacrifice fly. Notre Dame scored twice in the bottom of the ninth off reliever Michelle Gascoigne, who improved to 5-0 this season.
OU's powerful lineup was held without a home run; Shelby Pendley had three hits and three RBIs, and Lauren Chamberlain had two doubles and scored twice.
The Sooners continue a season-opening trip through California this week. OU plays in the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs; the Sooners face Georgia and fellow softball power Arizona on Thursday.
OSU TRIMS HAWKEYES
Samantha Chrisman homered and finished with three RBIs as Oklahoma State beat Iowa 4-3 on Sunday at the Lovelace Invitational in Denton, Texas.
Chrisman's solo homer in the third inning gave the Cowgirls a lead they would never lose. She added a two-run double during a three-run fifth inning.
Kat Espinosa and Simone Freeman combined for no walks and seven strikeouts as Oklahoma State improved to 5-4.
OSU next plays in the Cathedral City Classic in Palm Springs, Calif. The Cowgirls will play Florida and Brigham Young on Thursday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort