College wrestling: No. 2-ranked OSU hammers Sun Devils, Sooners lose at Virginia Tech
The Cowboys remain unbeaten in duals this season. Oklahoma falls to 6-6. Both teams have No. 7-ranked Missouri next on the agenda.
No. 2-ranked Oklahoma State overwhelmed Arizona State 44-6 in wrestling on Sunday at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.
Arizona State (7-9) only scored once — and that came in the last match of the day, when Oklahoma State forfeited at 141 pounds. Otherwise, OSU (11-0) dominated the once-mighty Sun Devils. The Cowboys scored bonus points in all but two matches. Top-ranked Jordan Oliver at 149 pounds, No. 3 Tyler Caldwell (165), No. 1 Chris Perry (174) and No. 3 Alex Gelogaev (heavyweight) all scored falls.
Perry won in 48 seconds. Gelogaev busted All-American Levi Cooper in just 1:26.
“ASU is a better team than what the score showed,” Oklahoma State coach John Smith said. “We expected a tougher match at heavyweight, and some of their better guys didn't wrestle. I think we wrestled well today.”
OSU next wrestles Friday at No. 7-ranked Missouri.
OU LOSES TO HOKIES
Oklahoma fell to 6-6 on the wrestling season after losing a 22-19 decision at No. 9-ranked Virginia Tech on Sunday in Cassell Coliseum.
Virginia Tech (13-2) used a stretch where it won five of six matches to drop the No. 16-ranked Sooners. OU led the dual 10-3 after Kendric Maple improved to 21-0; he pinned Michael Gowen at 2:59 of the 141-pound match. That's when the Hokies went to work. They won at 149, 157, 165, 184 and 197 pounds. The Sooners' only victory during the stretch came at 174, when No. 4-ranked Bubby Graham, usually a 165-pounder, decisioned Austin Gabel, 3-2.
The dual's outcome was out of reach for the Sooners, who cut the gap to the final margin after Keldrick Hall pinned David Marone in 44 seconds of the heavyweight match.
OU is off until Sunday, Feb. 3, when it visits Missouri.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss