Colorado tops Dayton 67-57 in Charleston Classic
Vee Sanford led Dayton (1-1) with 13 points. Last year's leading scorer for the Flyers, Kevin Dillard, scored all of his 10 points in the second half.
Dayton rallied one final time, tying it 47-all on Dillard's driving bucket. Colorado used its long-range shooting touch to respond. Booker hit his second of three 3-pointers to regain the lead and Scott followed with a pair of foul shots.
The Flyers closed to 52-50 on Dyshawn Pierre's free throw with 4:59 remaining, but that was as close as they would come down the stretch. Booker's final 3-pointer with 1:25 remaining gave Colorado a 62-54 lead.
Dayton coach Archie Miller said his team played well until Colorado's pace and execution in the last 10 minutes proved too much.
"Our team's going to find that out the hard way a couple of times early until we learn it's a 40 minute game and not a 30-minute game," Miller said.
The teams hadn't played each other since 1987.
Dayton was looking to show off its early season form. The Flyers won the Old Spice Classic in 2011 and Chicago Invitational Challenge in 2008. Dayton defeated Wake Forest, Fairfield and Minnesota on the way to last year's Old Spice title and was seeking to knock off another BCS conference program in the Buffaloes.
Dayton led 27-23 at the half, and Khari Price hit both his first-half 3s to lead the Flyers' scoring in the period.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister