Columnist shares his greatest gift
Columnist Walker Moore talks about the challenges of gift-giving and what he considers to be the greatest gift of all.
The older my children get, the harder it is for me to buy them Christmas presents. Not only do their ages make my shopping more difficult, but I'm also at the place in life where I don't like fighting the crowds.
When my children were young, almost anything you could purchase at a dollar store would bring them great joy. By the time they were in elementary school, I had to keep up with the latest commercials, the source of their Christmas wish lists. Now that they're grown, I don't have a clue what they want.
I remember when my Grandma Moore reached this stage of her Christmas gift-giving life. That was the year she began giving gloves to all the men in our family. If you were a Moore male, you didn't have to ask what Grandma Moore got you last Christmas or what she was going to get you next Christmas because we all got the same thing: gloves. And every year until she went home to be with the Lord, it got harder and harder to act surprised.
My Granddad Scott had a similar problem. He reached the point where he gave each of us a brand-new dollar bill every Christmas. Our gifts changed from bicycles and telescopes to one-dollar bills. Granddad always went to the bank and got the envelopes with an oval cutout for George Washington's smiling face.
I guess I've almost reached the glove and dollar bill stage. If I can find gloves at the dollar store, I'll have completed the circle of life.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes