Commerce report demonstrates positive economic recovery in Oklahoma cities, counties
Personal income and total wage-earners in Oklahoma City metro area are increasing at a faster rate than most of the nation, according to “Local Area Personal Income, 2009-2011,” released this week by the U.S. Department of Commerce.
Significant employment increases for the Oklahoma City metro area from 2010-11 included in wholesale trading (8.3 percent), manufacturing (5.6 percent) and in professional, scientific and technical services (5.2 percent.)
Nearly all sectors
Increases were experienced in nearly all sectors except in government employees, military and company management positions, according to the report.
Don Hackler, spokesman for the state Commerce Department, said states like Oklahoma and Texas have become more attractive for companies and prospective employees because the unemployment rate is low and plenty of high-paying jobs have been created and remain unfilled, particularly in manufacturing.
“Part of it is that we've worked for several years to help diversify the economic bases of the state, to go away from primarily agriculture and energy and increasing manufacturing,” Hackler said.
New aerospace incentives encouraged Boeing to expand at its engineering center near Tinker Air Force Base, and state leadership has been successful in developing a pro-business climate here, Hackler said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister