Conservatives' use of federal grants result in off-target cries of hypocrisy
Gov. Mary Fallin and other conservative Republicans are getting the business for using federal grant money for an economic development venture while spurning it for Obamacare. This alleged hypocrisy should be viewed through the pane of a two-way mirror: You can see through it from one side but not the other.
NewsOK Related Articles
The hypocrisy hunters on the left are quick to point out the inconsistencies of conservatives but have the darndest time seeing their own. The George W. Bush-era federal income tax cuts, which are said to be starving the children, and the bipartisan income tax cuts in Oklahoma, which are said to be starving public schools, are cases in point.
Those opposed to tax cuts can continue paying the same rate by some other means — or even upping their contribution at any time. The federal government and at least eight states (including Oklahoma) have some form of what's called a “Tax Me More” fund, a vehicle for paying more taxes voluntarily. Needless to say, the cups of these funds aren't overflowing.
An Oklahoma delegation led by Fallin went to England for a trade show. Expenses for some participants were offset by U.S. Small Business Administration grants. Cue the hypocrisy claims! How could anyone critical of Obamacare and put off by related federal grants dare take Uncle Sam's money for anything?
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort