Construction begins on Kevin Durant's restaurant
With a new NBA season just days away, Thunder star Kevin Durant joined restaurateur Hal Smith and developer Randy Hogan in marking the start of construction on his new Lower Bricktown eatery, KD's.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Smith, whose company owns the neighboring Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill, as well as Charleston's, Louie's and Red Rock Canyon Grill, praised Durant as the ideal partner to open an eatery.
“His mindset of giving back to the community is beyond words,” Smith said.
Durant is a 25 percent owner in the $5 million project — a stake that Smith said he hopes will draw the star as a frequent visitor.
“If we make money, he makes money,” Smith said. “And I asked him point-blank, ‘Are you going to be involved? Are you going to be at the restaurant?' And he said, ‘Absolutely, I'm going to hang there with my buddies.'”
Smith added the menu, a mix of steaks, seafood and southern comfort food, will all be personally tested by Durant.
Durant, who first confirmed plans for the restaurant in an interview with The Oklahoman last spring, said he saw the eatery as a chance to further promote Oklahoma City — a city he said he considers “home.”
“I've seen the city grow the last four to five years, and I thought this would be great way to add to that,” Durant said. “I've been to different NBA cities; I saw Amare Stoudemire's restaurant and I got a little jealous.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers