Construction begins on Kevin Durant's restaurant
With a new NBA season just days away, Thunder star Kevin Durant joined restaurateur Hal Smith and developer Randy Hogan in marking the start of construction on his new Lower Bricktown eatery, KD's.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Smith, whose company owns the neighboring Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill, as well as Charleston's, Louie's and Red Rock Canyon Grill, praised Durant as the ideal partner to open an eatery.
“His mindset of giving back to the community is beyond words,” Smith said.
Durant is a 25 percent owner in the $5 million project — a stake that Smith said he hopes will draw the star as a frequent visitor.
“If we make money, he makes money,” Smith said. “And I asked him point-blank, ‘Are you going to be involved? Are you going to be at the restaurant?' And he said, ‘Absolutely, I'm going to hang there with my buddies.'”
Smith added the menu, a mix of steaks, seafood and southern comfort food, will all be personally tested by Durant.
Durant, who first confirmed plans for the restaurant in an interview with The Oklahoman last spring, said he saw the eatery as a chance to further promote Oklahoma City — a city he said he considers “home.”
“I've seen the city grow the last four to five years, and I thought this would be great way to add to that,” Durant said. “I've been to different NBA cities; I saw Amare Stoudemire's restaurant and I got a little jealous.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister