Construction set to begin next month on Bricktown Holiday Inn Express in Oklahoma City
Demolition on the former Steffen's Dairy in Oklahoma City's Bricktown is set to begin Feb. 1, with construction to begin immediately afterward on a 124-room, five-story Holiday Inn Express.
Videoview all videos
Jan 23Demolition on the former Steffen's Dairy in Oklahoma...
Photoview all photos
Another member, Avis Scaramucci, indicated she had no problem with the archway. She also disagreed with Bright's suggestion that the entrance canopies were not a good fit for the district, arguing the design does reflect other canopies found in Bricktown.
Bright also questioned whether the two-story glass-encased lobby was in keeping with the historic nature of the century-old warehouse district.
“It just seems like someone decided to stick something on the front to make it look modern,” Bright said. “It doesn't seem consistent with where we are.”
Scott Dedmon, project architect, responded the design team wished to avoid a “Disneyland replication design” that attempts to recreate historic buildings.
“We're building a building in 2013, not a building in 1915,” Dedmon said.
The committee previously approved demolition of the dairy, which has been empty for more than 20 years and was first eyed for potential hotel development in 2008.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad